Things you need to know prior to your stay
- Obtain a referral from your child’s assigned hospital case manager/social worker – A referral is not a “reservation” and does not guarantee availability; all referrals are submitted to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Temple (RMHC of Temple).
- All guests must undergo a criminal background check. Here are the terms related to that check that all guests must authorize:
- *RMHC OF Temple conducts a formal criminal history background check on all individuals applying for temporary residence at House. The safety of all Ronald McDonald House (RMH) families is very important to us. RMHC of Temple reserves the right to refuse admittance to any potential resident or guest with a criminal conviction. RMHC of Temple does not admit anyone with a criminal felony conviction that may threaten the health, safety, welfare, and ability of other individuals to peacefully enjoy the House (e.g., violent crimes, domestic violence, child abuse, sex offenses, illegal drug activity, burglary and/or theft). RMHC of Temple also will not admit any individual who provides false, incomplete, or misleading responses during the formal criminal history background check. RMHC OF Temple also reserves the right to expel a guest for any other inappropriate, irresponsible, or criminal behavior that takes place while temporarily residing at the RMH.
- Once a referral is received and verified, the family is placed on a waiting list for their arrival date. Rooms are assigned based on the severity and stability of the child’s condition, and distance from home. Families are asked to contact RMHC of Temple staff concerning room availability prior to arrival to. Occupancy limits per room range from 1 to 7 people depending on room.
- Guests 18 years or older must present a photo ID at time of check-in.
- Guests under the age of 18 must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times. Rooms are provided for the purpose of keeping families close to their seriously ill or injured child during treatment. It is expected that families will spend the majority of their waking hours caring for and supporting their child.
- Families gain considerable support from other guest families experiencing similar hardships. In order for every guest family to have a positive experience, guest families who do not observe the rules will be asked to check-out.
- Large laundry room with supplies provided. Please be respectful of others when using the laundry room. Do not leave your clothes in the machines if you will not be able to finish your load within a reasonable amount of time.
- Breast Milk Storage–A freezer is located in the large laundry room for guests to store expressed milk.
- Free wifi throughout the House.
- Van Rides – A van provides transportation to and from the hospital at five times a day. A van schedule is provided upon check-in.
- Secured outdoor playground.
- Indoor playroom with video surveillance.
- Two kitchens with attached pantries for guest use. Meals are frequently prepared for House guests by outside groups or persons. Feel free to write a thank-you note to the family or group who provided the meal and give it to a staff member to pass on.
See also our House Rules